Flying Logic Forum
August 16, 2018, 12:14:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Flying Logic 3.0.9 has been released!
Click here to visit the Flying Logic home page.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Printing  (Read 7539 times)
Jottce

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2007, 07:08:31 AM »

It would be very helpful to be able to print a graph directly, with print controls to determine how the map appears on the page (single page, multiple page etc.) instead of having to go through pdf or jpg export. I now use File>Export Diagram as PDF and then drag the pdf into OmniGraffle as a workaround. I can resize the image in OmniGraffle and print it on multiple pages. These controls would not need to be extensive; 2 options would be fine: (1) skale to fit on 1 page and (2) print on multiple pages using the current zoom factor.

As always, I don't know what such a feature entails in terms of programming. It is certainly not crucial, just an addition that would make working with FL smoother and faster, particularly since there is no way to export an outline based on the graph yet.
Joe Pearce
CTO, Sciral
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:24:21 PM »

Printing is high on our list of features to implement in the next release. We experimented with including it in this release, but there are cross-platform issues that need to be resolved first.
Jottce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 11:39:14 PM »

Printing is high on our list of features to implement in the next release. We experimented with including it in this release, but there are cross-platform issues that need to be resolved first.

That is wonderful to hear. The cross-platform issues must be a nightmare (I'm assuming, having virtually no programming experience myself); I am willing to sacrifice functionality and live with the limitations of Java for this though; most of my students use PCs and it is very good to know that (in theory at least) they have access to the same program.

Thank you!
J
KeithP

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 09:49:39 PM »

Great News.  I am getting significant value from your product and eagerly awaiting the next version.
As I am developing lots of Graphs a footnote style annotation on the printout would be appreciated. 
Request is for File name, automatic incrementing version number, page & page-of, Date (please make it international not American) and a Text field such as Authours name.
Joe Pearce
CTO, Sciral
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 12:18:29 AM »

I have added your request to our "to do" list.
ve7tcc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 02:37:26 PM »

This looks like a great product.
If I purchase now, will I have to pay more for the next release with such features completed?

Robert McNally
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 03:23:29 PM »

ve72cc,

We have already implemented printing in the current released version of Flying Logic. The next release, 1.1, will be a free upgrade. It is too early to say when we will release a paid upgrade.
KeithP

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 08:32:52 PM »

Robert,
A further thought on Printing.
Not clear on the technical issues involved but assume they are significant as V1.1 doesn't appear to have added enhanced printing! Huh
Concept:
Match the no. of pages to the Zoom resolution.
eg if the current screen shows all of the Graph, then print to 1 page (with the capability to set the paper size A4, A3, legal etc); if the screen shows only part of a graph use this as the scaling factor and print to the no. of pages this implies. Kiss
(this might also assist ColinW with his page splits).
Regards
Keith P
Robert McNally
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 12:59:10 AM »

Not clear on the technical issues involved but assume they are significant as V1.1 doesn't appear to have added enhanced printing!

Yes, when it comes to paginating and printing large graphs there are many ways to skin a cat... too many ways, actually. And I'm sure that the solutions we do eventually implement will satisfy many, but not all people.

Thanks for your suggestions!
KeithP

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »

Also Acrobat has the ability to tile & scale (or fit to paper size) so the PDF output is a reasonable stopgap.
Keith P
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: