Flying Logic Forum
April 24, 2019, 10:37:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Flying Logic 3.0.9 has been released!
Click here to visit the Flying Logic home page.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are writers a different kind of audience?  (Read 7532 times)
Jottce

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2007, 10:12:15 AM »

Over in the Scrivener forums there was a discussion on pricing, which lead me to thinking about what kind of audience Flying Logic is for. Robert made it pretty clear that the target audience is businesses and business students. But since this is a discussion board for "Flying Logic for Writers", I am interested in this product mainly for the potential it has in non-business applications, for students in English classes (or any other discipline that requires them to write research papers), or students in creative writing programs, for example. Graduate students and PhD candidates in all fields could benefit from the potential functionality of Flying Logic. Even fairly experienced academic writers like myself would be a potential audience, just as much as creative writers would be.

But no writing project is the same: in this it is quite different from the business applications of Flying Logic: it is never enough to visually represent an existing theory of a process. This is the reason why AndreasE went for the pro version. A writer is not interested in applying an existing theory, a writer wants to express novel thoughts in a new way.

That said, there is of course merit in limiting the options; there are established processes for creative as well as for academic writing that can potentially be modeled in Flying Logic. The constraint provided by a limited set of options in a well-thought through, predefined domain could be an asset for the creative process.

I could imagine a scenario where the teacher, say, in a literature class would provide students with domains they can use. On an undergraduate level, this may work quite well, particularly if the school had a classroom license. 

Another scenario: A student with the student edition comes up with a great idea for a new domain set and backs it up with a theory of writing or critical thinking. You could have a process on your web page where people could submit domain ideas, and you could then provide them as downloadable domains.

I don't know, it may even make sense to split the product into a business version and a writing version; I think that the basic engine could be the same, except with different emphasis in functionality. For writing, for example, all the advanced operators would be unnecessary. AND and OR are quite sufficient. Export as outline is paramount, while it may be marginal for business users, who may need export to project management software. I am an academic in Germany, so I can't speak for other countries, but I buy all my software myself. I have a laptop from the university and may be able to get the standard ware, such as MS Office, but anything outside that is my own private business. I guess that's why many (most) Mac developers offer academic pricing for students and faculty. I assume that creative writers also rarely spend over $ 100 on software and that only after careful consideration.

Best,
J
Robert McNally
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 11:23:49 AM »

My goal is to make Flying Logic a tool that attracts all kinds of users who would benefit from support for clear thinking and not just a tool for business consultants, even though that was its original inspiration.

Although the various editions of Flying Logic are intended to suit different kinds of users, I doubt I will be creating editions so narrowly targeted as a "Writers Edition" any time soon— I think that would be cutting things too fine. But even though I know Flying Logic will not be right for everybody, I definitely want my product to be very useful to writers, even if it not an "impulse buy" for many. This means that features like export to outline, when available, will be available in all editions.

I will soon be creating a page where all Flying Logic users can download templates, including custom domains. These will be usable by users of any edition of Flying Logic.

This forum is a place where people can share domains and templates they have come up with simply by attaching them to their postings. The best ones can end up featured on the main web site.
Jottce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 11:47:47 AM »

Although the various editions of Flying Logic are intended to suit different kinds of users, I doubt I will be creating editions so narrowly targeted as a "Writers Edition" any time soon— I think that would be cutting things too fine. But even though I know Flying Logic will not be right for everybody, I definitely want my product to be very useful to writers, even if it not an "impulse buy" for many. This means that features like export to outline, when available, will be available in all editions.

Of course, that's understandable. You can't spread yourself too thin. But when you create a forum for writers, and they have an interest, they will write.

This forum is a place where people can share domains and templates they have come up with simply by attaching them to their postings. The best ones can end up featured on the main web site.

That's excellent. However, I can't share a domain if I don't have the Pro version; I still may have an idea for a domain that may be useful to others as well. Of course I could go begging users who do have the pro version to create the domain for me, but that is not an elegant solution.

I downloaded the student version the first time I tested Flying Logic because I did not see myself spending over $ 100 on an application with such a focused set of features. I immediately saw the potential usefulness of the application for my writing, but not being able to create my own domains (and missing outline functionality) just about killed off my interest. When you responded in the Scrivener forum that you are interested in writers as an audience, this rekindled my interest and I went back and gave Flying Logic another try with much more favorable results. I think it is a good idea to have the forum here so (potential) users can talk about their needs and expectations -- and you can decide whether acting on them is worth it for you.

Best,
J
Robert McNally
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »

But when you create a forum for writers, and they have an interest, they will write.

I find that very gratifying!
Joe Pearce
CTO, Sciral
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 01:43:02 PM »

The Personal and Student Editions can import domains. The creator of a domain does need the Pro Edition though.

Note: Custom domains are embedded in documents that use those domains.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 03:02:36 PM by Joe Pearce » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: