Flying Logic Forum
December 12, 2017, 01:58:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Flying Logic 3.0.9 has been released!
Click here to visit the Flying Logic home page.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Effects with desirable and undesirable aspects  (Read 4795 times)
robertdc

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:42:48 AM »

Hello,

I only stumbled upon Flying Logic and TOC yesterday so I realise I have very much still to learn. One quick question though, if anyone is able to help. I can think of many instances where an effect can be both desirable and undesirable, for different reasons. How should these be treated?

Thanks,

Robert
janwybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »

Hi Robert,

One option would be to create a new entity class and just call it "effect".

Another option would be to consider the possibility that what seems a single effect, in reality is a multiplicity of effects, some of which are desirable, others undesirable.

What would help in that case, would be to apply the categories of legitimate reservation.

Further reading material which I would like to warmly recommend: Lisa Scheinkopf and William Dettmer.

Have fun exploring Flying Logic and TOC!

Jan Wybe Oosterkamp
robertdc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 01:55:34 AM »

Hi Jan,

Thanks, that's really helpful. I was starting to worry that the rules of TOC seemed a bit too restrictive but I guess they are starting points and to some extent you can adapt an approach to fit the particular task requirements. The other issue I've been struggling with is regarding actions - the FL documentation frequently stresses that actions should have no predecessors, only successors, but what if an action really does depend upon fulfilling a previous action first? I suppose that often Action 1 could produce an intermediate effect to which could be added Action 2 but in other cases that may not apply. From your suggestion previously, perhaps I should create a new entity class called "intermediate action" but would that be cheating? Ultimately, I think its probably just that at the moment I'm associating these kind of visual diagrams too much with flowcharts and probably need to escape a bit from the flowchart mentality.

Will definitely read those couple of books you recommended. At the moment I'm reading the Goal novel which seems good so far.

Robert
janwybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 03:47:54 AM »

Hi Robert,

Does the discussion below answer your question?

http://forum.flyinglogic.com/index.php?topic=352.0

Cheers - Jan Wybe.

Jan Wybe Oosterkamp
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: