Flying Logic Forum
August 17, 2017, 01:19:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Flying Logic 3.0.9 has been released!
Click here to visit the Flying Logic home page.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which if these features would you like to see implemented in Flying Logic 3.1?  (Voting closed: December 31, 2016, 07:50:53 PM)
Keyboard shortcuts for favorite entity classes - 1 (2.4%)
Shortcuts to select depth of collapsed groups - 0 (0%)
Set font attributes of headers and footers - 0 (0%)
Implement recording, playback and editing of macros - 2 (4.9%)
Real-time scripting - 0 (0%)
Scripts as links in annotation - 0 (0%)
Document layers - 4 (9.8%)
Hoist a selection - 1 (2.4%)
Automatically open last opened documents - 2 (4.9%)
Default window position and size for newly created documents - 0 (0%)
Add an operation to create a sibling of selected entity - 0 (0%)
Inspector sidebar can be placed on the right side of window - 1 (2.4%)
Link to element via drag-and-drop - 3 (7.3%)
Link to remote Flying Logic documents - 3 (7.3%)
Replace text - 1 (2.4%)
Presentation mode via linking - 0 (0%)
Preference to change graph compactness - 5 (12.2%)
Auto-save - 4 (9.8%)
User-defined document watermark - 0 (0%)
Looping edges - 2 (4.9%)
Entity markers indicating amount of influence in graph - 3 (7.3%)
Labels on elements that display user-defined attributes - 4 (9.8%)
Multi-line titles - 5 (12.2%)
Set height of entities in chart view - 0 (0%)
Set font size of table text in chart view - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advisory vote for features to appear in Flying Logic 3.1  (Read 1336 times)
Joe Pearce
CTO, Sciral
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2016, 07:50:53 PM »

With the recent release of Flying Logic 3.0.6, we have reached the point where everything we had planned for the “3.0” series has been completed. We are now starting the process of determining what new features will appear in Flying Logic 3.1.

We are going to begin by letting you help us select those features!

Above is a list of features we are considering. We would like you to tell us which of these would be the most useful to you. Please vote for up to five features.

We will not be implementing just five of the features though! We will evaluate the time it will take to complete the top-most voted features, and then implement as many as fit in our release time frame.

You must be a member for the forum to vote.

Descriptions of features up for vote:

Keyboard shortcuts for favorite entity classes

Allows assigning shortcuts to create favorite entity classes, as if highlighting the class in the Domain inspector and then selecting New Entity.

Shortcuts to select depth of collapsed groups

Adds a submenu to the Group menu to allow selecting the depth at which all groups are collapsed. For example, select a depth of 2 would expand all top-level groups and their direct child groups, but all deeper groups would be collapsed. There will be keyboard shortcuts for these items.

Set font attributes of headers and footers

Add controls to Document Inspector to allow setting the font attributes (size, style, family, and color) of headers and footers. Each header and footer “element” could be assigned only one font setting; i.e., all text of the “header middle” element could be assigned to a font, but not individual characters.

Implement recording, playback and editing of macros

Add a macro feature to the program. These macros would be stored as Python scripts, which would allow them to be edited (and created from scratch) in a text editor.

Real-time scripting

Allow for two instances where a script could be run in “real-time;” i.e., when a graph is being operated. The first would be custom operators that act in the same places as built-in operators like Fuzzy AND and Sum. The second would be a function that is run after all other operators have completed.

Scripts as links in annotation

Provide a way to assign a script to the action of clicking on a link in an annotation.

Document layers

Make it possible to assign entities, junctors and groups to a layer. Like groups, layers can be hoisted so only elements in the layer are shown. Edges are hoisted if they are connected to a hoisted element.

Hoist a selection

Make it possible to hoist a set of selected entities, junctors and groups to a layer. Only selected elements are shown. Changing the selection at this point does not alter which elements are hoisted. Edges are hoisted if they are connected to a hoisted element. Acts a quasi-layer if document layers has been implemented.

Automatically open last opened documents

The program would remember which documents were open when it last closed, and re-open those documents on start. Tabbed documents would be restored in tabs.

Default window position and size for newly created documents

Provide a menu item for setting the default position and size for newly created documents based on the current document window.

Add an operation to create a sibling of selected entity

This feature would allow creating a duplicate of a single selected entity. This new entity would have all user-editable properties, parent group (if any), and connections as the selected entity.

Inspector sidebar can be placed on the right side of window

Would allow placing the inspector sidebar on either the left or right side of the document window. This would likely be a per-document setting.

Link to element via drag-and-drop

An element could be dragged over an annotation to add a link to that element. This would even work between Flying Logic documents.

Link to remote Flying Logic documents

Allow links to open remote Flying Logic documents. In addition, the remotely loaded document would remember the remote path to itself so relative paths in its links work correctly too.

Replace text

Add replace option to find functionality, both in Find dialog and toolbar.

Presentation mode via linking

Changes the way the program handles clicks on elements. In presentation mode clicking on an element navigates to the first link in the element’s annotation. Alt-click/option-click can still be used to select the element.

Preference to change graph compactness

This would be a setting that alters the length of edges and other graph metrics to make a graph more or less compact.

Auto-save

Adds a preference setting that causes the program to auto-save documents every so often. The frequency could be altered also.

User-defined document watermark

Allow user to assign a watermark to be overlaid when documents are printed or exported to an image format (PNG, PDF, etc.) Watermark could be placed at any corner or center of document and repeated each page. Watermark could come from an image or SVG file, just like custom symbols.

Looping edges

Allow an edge to loop back to the source entity. Such an edge would be rendered and act as a back edge.

Entity markers indicating amount of influence in graph

Adds a marker to each entity that gives a rating for how influential the entity is (drivers) or influenced by other entities (non-drivers).

Labels on elements that display user-defined attributes

Adds labels to elements in the graph that display the names and/or values of particular user-defined attributes. Different names and values can be set separately for entities, junctors, groups and edges.

Multi-line titles

Provide a way to add line breaks to an entity or group title.

Set height of entities in chart view

Add a new element text attribute that sets the height of the entities in chart view. Also, change the name of the Element Text Attributes dialog to Element Display Attributes.

Set font size of table text in chart view

Add a new element text attribute that sets the size of the text that appears in the table portion of chart view.

janwybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:30:11 PM »

Congratulations on opening this poll, dear makers of Flying Logic.

I am especially happy with the option of "multi-line titles" being included in the list of options.

And for those of my fellow Flying Logic forum members who would like to know what a multi-line title looks like, I've attached an illustration of it. Multi-line titles make life easier for those who want to put lots of text in an entity, for example those who use Flying Logic to design the plot of a novel.

Cheers - Jan Wybe.

* McKee CH02 033 THE STRUCTURE SPECTRUM Event Value Story.jpg (278.12 KB, 2400x911 - viewed 172 times.)

Jan Wybe Oosterkamp
Robert G

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 08:48:36 AM »

While it is not on the list, my top request would be for the ability to export the diagrams in a format that could be imported into Omnigraffle such as a Visio format. While I appreciate the value of having the program handle the formatting, especially in the flow of creation, it isn't always the best solution for presentation. It would be great to be able to further massage the diagrams. SVG export is a step in that direction, but being able to work with linked diagrams, where the edges stay connected to the elements as elements are moved, would be so much easier.

Do you have such export on your roadmap?
janwybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 09:02:30 AM »

Hi Robert G,

As someone who loves both Flying Logic and OmniGraffle, each for their respective purposes, I'd like to share with you that recently I went through the following sequence of steps:

1.) Create a simple diagram in Flying Logic;
2.) Export the Flying Logic diagram as a Graphviz document (.dot);
3.) Open the .dot file with OmniGraffle 7;
4.) Enjoy watching the diagram appear on the OmniGraffle canvas;
5.) Export the diagram from OmniGraffle to SVG.
6.) Open the SVG file with Safari browser. Works fine!

Would this be of any use for you?

Cheers - Jan Wybe.

Jan Wybe Oosterkamp
Robert G

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 07:41:05 PM »

Hi Jan,

Thank you for pointing out that route via .dot. I hadn't explored it before. It's definitely a help but I'll have to explore it more to know if it's sufficient.

Glad to know its there

Thanks!
Joe Pearce
CTO, Sciral
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:24:47 PM »

Thanks to everyone who voted!

Hopefully it will provide sufficient information for use decide what features we should concentrate on for Flying Logic 3.1.
janwybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 07:09:19 AM »

OmniGraffle support told me that they have received quite a number of bug reports regarding Graphviz (.dot) import.

Therefore I would like to file the feature request for Flying Logic documents to become importable by OmniGraffle.

(Obviously I already also filed a request with OmniGraffle support for OmniGraffle becoming able to directly import Flying Logic documents...

Jan Wybe Oosterkamp
Joe Pearce
CTO, Sciral
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »

Therefore I would like to file the feature request for Flying Logic documents to become importable by OmniGraffle.

First, sorry for the late reply.

I will look into how well the .dot files we export imports into OmniGraffle.

Now if someone would with a .dot file importer script...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: