Flying Logic Forum
October 16, 2018, 02:49:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Flying Logic 3.0.9 has been released!
Click here to visit the Flying Logic home page.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is educator/student version crippled.  (Read 9366 times)
GullyFoyle

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:04:33 AM »

Are <fuzzy and> & <fuzzy or> really the only entities available in education version?
Tom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »

Only professionals can think on the advanced levels required to understand anything but AND and OR. Besides, student could want arithmetic in their idea spreadsheets so badly and yet not think the extra $110 was worth it?

Wink
GullyFoyle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »

How could I have been so naive?   Roll Eyes

Why for only twice the price I could have purchased a crippled version that conceals my lack of intellect by not displaying the "STUDENT" watermark.

Hm...  I wonder if I should recommend FL as a tool for my students and colleagues?

Undecided   Grin

...GF
Robert McNally
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:13:54 PM »

The reason that AND and OR (and NOT through edge weights) are the only operators available on both the Student and Personal editions is that they are all that is needed for most of the common Thinking Process techniques. Every technique described in Thinking with Flying Logic (save one, the Belief Network) can be employed using the basic operators.
GullyFoyle

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 09:59:06 PM »

It's lucky I'm not  clever enough to think uncommonly then isn't it?   Wink 

The underlying risk in selling crippled software is that it discourages users from promoting the software thereby reducing the client base.

A crippled product reduces my motivation to recommend that product to other potential users - students & colleagues.  If the product is so crippled that I am unwilling to investigate it for evidence of its superiority to a product that I already possess then I have no motivation to recommend it.

I would suggest that you either provide educators/students with uncrippled software or simply market a single product for a single price of $99.00 - $119.00.

A STUDENT watermark is more than adequate to inhibit professional use of software.

...GF
Robert McNally
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »

The software is not crippled: we are selling a set of features required for a target market at a price that is reasonable for that market. The professors I have spoken with use the Student edition for their courses where they require it. If a Professor needs the Pro edition for a class (for instance to create custom domains) then they acquire the Pro edition for themselves and distribute their custom domains to their students, which can be used in any edition of Flying Logic. For group or institutional purchases we have extend discounts on the Pro version as well. If you are interested in receiving a personalized quote, then please contact me personally:robert@sciral.com.
Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 03:20:10 AM »

Hi,
I sent an email about a week ago but have not received a reply. This thread looks like the place to post my email since the topic is related.

"Hi,
I just downloaded Flying Logic and was pleasantly surprised to see that it works on my Dual G5 PPC Mac. Some Java applications do not currently run on PPC Macs (e.g., Quantrix, Consideo Modeler).

I noticed that your Academic version is limited, though. In the case of Consideo, Quantrix, Araxis Ketura, Araxis Merge, and many other applications I use, the only difference between the regular version and the academic version has been the price.

Is there a reason why Flying Logic's features are limited in the Academic version?
For example, it would be useful for my dissertation process to be able to export to Microsoft Project. I could use Merlin or FastTrack Schedule to open the exported file. Unfortunately, this export function is only available in Flying Logic's Professional version.

Do you plan to offer an academic discount on the Professional version? Or will the Student and Personal versions remain the only discounted options?

Thank you very much for your help"

If you received my email and prefer to reply via email and delete my post, feel free to do so.
Thanks again for your help.
girlgeek0001
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 08:52:05 AM »

Hi,
I sent an email about a week ago but have not received a reply. This thread looks like the place to post my email since the topic is related.

"Hi,
I just downloaded Flying Logic and was pleasantly surprised to see that it works on my Dual G5 PPC Mac. Some Java applications do not currently run on PPC Macs (e.g., Quantrix, Consideo Modeler).

I noticed that your Academic version is limited, though. In the case of Consideo, Quantrix, Araxis Ketura, Araxis Merge, and many other applications I use, the only difference between the regular version and the academic version has been the price.

Is there a reason why Flying Logic's features are limited in the Academic version?
For example, it would be useful for my dissertation process to be able to export to Microsoft Project. I could use Merlin or FastTrack Schedule to open the exported file. Unfortunately, this export function is only available in Flying Logic's Professional version.

Do you plan to offer an academic discount on the Professional version? Or will the Student and Personal versions remain the only discounted options?

Thank you very much for your help"

If you received my email and prefer to reply via email and delete my post, feel free to do so.
Thanks again for your help.

Hello Eddie,

My apologies for the delayed response time. An email response was issued this morning. Hope it is helpful to you.

Thanks,
M Wallace
Sciral
Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 06:11:36 PM »

Thank you very much for you emails and response.
It was very helpful indeed.
girlgeek0001
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 10:01:35 PM »

Thank you very much for you emails and response.
It was very helpful indeed.

Happy to hear that! Never hesitate to contact me anytime for assistance.

Take care,
M Wallace
Sciral
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: