Flying Logic Forum
October 16, 2018, 03:05:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Flying Logic 3.0.9 has been released!
Click here to visit the Flying Logic home page.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Miscellaneous OOBE nits  (Read 7438 times)
Jay Levitt

Omnipotence is hard work

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2008, 05:56:18 AM »

Nothing major, just the usual 1.x blues to add to your bug list.  This is with FL 1.1.1 (RCM 315), JRE 1.6.0_04, Windows XP SP2:

1. The installer and the domain pane have some very strange green fringing on the letterforms (using an LCD monitor with standard RGB stripe ordering).  I suspect this is a subpixel-rendering issue deep in Java, and you have no control, but I thought I'd mention it.  I've run into all sorts of subpixel-rendering differences between Swing, AWT, and SWT.

2. The UI for creating a domain is odd; it brings up a dialog with a single edit field and a close button.  I know that's more common on the Mac than Windows (i.e. Control Panel), but still, there's no indication of what to do next.  Hitting Enter has no effect.   Perhaps a simple "Next" button that takes you to adding a class, since that's the obvious next step?  Even better - creating a domain, since a domain has no properties, should just be an in-place edit in the tree (assuming your tree control allows that).

3. Once I've created domains, it's a pain to get them into other documents; I have to export them individually, and then import them individually.  I'd like "Import" to see .logic files and pull all the domains in.

4. Many of the file open/save dialogs don't seem to remember the last place they were.  Every time I "Import Domain", I'm back at C:\Program Files\Flying Logic Pro.  Every time I "Export Selected Domain", I'm back at %My Documents%.

5. Pressing DEL while a domain is selected should delete that domain.

6. "Export Domain" should be on the context menu for a domain.

7. I would like to be able to inspect the built-in entities so that I can copy their color scheme.

8. A dropper would be nice.

9. A better color-picker would be nice, though I realize that's rather vague...

10. When no entities are selected, I shouldn't see "Change all selected entities" on the context menu of an entity (or it should be greyed out)

11. Moving the HSB slider on the color picker should have a live preview, the way moving the dot does, or moving the RGB sliders does.

12. I should be able to cancel out of the color picker; while writing #11, I apparently added a bazillion entries to the undo history, and now I can't get back my old colors w/o reverting.

13. Old pet peeve: Buttons that act on selected list items should be separate from buttons that don't.  At the bottom of the list panel, you have "New Domain", "New Class", "Inspect [something]" and "Delete [something]".  The Inspect and Delete change tooltips depending on their function, but with no visual indication, and they're right next to the creation button.

I'd put the two creation buttons in a toolbar at the top of the pane.  As for inspect, my instinct says "no button; context menu -> "Inspect" (or, better, "Properties"), but I don't know the latest UI/human factors thinking on that.  As for delete, it's in a good place, but there are a few standards for a delete icon, and "prohibited" ain't any of them Smiley

14. The "domain" icon that you use as a folder tree twisty is confusing; it doesn't display open/closed, and it's not immediately apparent that there's even anything to open, since the list starts out closed.  Look at the way Eclipse does decorators: one corner is a +/-/whatever, one corner is a "what's the status", underlaying all that is the "what type of object is this" icon.

15. Using a Logitech G5 mouse, alt-scroll-wheel has absolutely no effect.  Is it possible that you aren't expecting to see PAGE_SCROLL (-1) as the number of SCROLL_LINES?  It's a common bug, though it usually results in "my wheel works backwards", not "my wheel doesn't work".  I can scroll in other Java apps.

16. Another font problem: Since the type size is auto-scaling, some of the entity text looks much bolder than other text, as the font grows to that "next-pixel" thickness.    See attached screen shot.

17. I love the idea of the text auto-sizing to fit the number of characters, but in practice, it ends up over-emphasizing things that I don't necessarily want emphasized, and to fix that, I have to add meaningless words!  It'd be nice if auto-sizing were the default, but if I could override it per entity to tweak things.

18. I understand that you don't want to turn FL into a graphic editing program.  Maybe the solution to #17 - as well as all the "I want to tweak my layout" requests - is to export into a vector-graphic format, whether that be TIFF, EPS, Illustrator, something?  You've already got a PDF generator, but it looks like you flatten everything before rendering.  Speaking of:

19. You flatten everything before rendering to PDF!  This makes fonts look horribly jaggy on Windows, and means I can't do #18 right now.  Maybe exporting "cleanly" to PDF is the solution to all three... I think most things can import PDF these days.

OK, that's enough to keep you busy for a few days Smiley  Seriously, it's a wonderful program, and these are all minor nits.

* flying logic is bold.PNG (49.14 KB, 918x480 - viewed 415 times.)

I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only conclude that's because I don't have a full grasp of the situation. -- Mark Adler
Robert McNally
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:17:02 PM »

Jay,

Thanks for the detailed report! Great suggestions.
NickMilner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 08:14:39 AM »

Not sure whether I should reply here or start a new topic, but is there any solution for the font scaling issue mentioned above?  I'm being asked why OPC UA and DA are in bold but HDA isn't, and of course it's not that at all; it's just that HDA has one extra letter!  (Please see attachment for example).

Thanks.

* Capture.PNG (17.12 KB, 544x256 - viewed 109 times.)
Joe Pearce
CTO, Sciral
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »

Which OS is this running on?
NickMilner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 01:38:03 PM »

Thanks for the reply. It's on Windows 10.
robatlogoprint

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 11:17:20 PM »

These screenshots may point you in the right direction  Grin

* element text attributes 1.PNG (26.36 KB, 472x259 - viewed 95 times.)

* element text attributes 2.PNG (22.12 KB, 849x526 - viewed 95 times.)
NickMilner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 11:44:50 PM »

Ah, interesting, I'll give that a try.  I wondered whether there might be a feature like that but I was looking under the "Format" menu for it (seemed like the logical place for it to be).  Thanks!
robatlogoprint

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 01:45:29 AM »

Yeah as my Mom would say, just because you think that something is logical to you, it may not be as logical to someone else. I have found some similar quirky logic in that to make changes to a domain, you make the change and then close it by clicking the x and it automatically saves  Cheesy
Joe Pearce
CTO, Sciral
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 06:55:25 PM »

I have found some similar quirky logic in that to make changes to a domain, you make the change and then close it by clicking the x and it automatically saves  Cheesy

We are going to add some buttons to the domain/entity class editor so it operates more "conventionally," without changing the functional of existing UI elements.
robatlogoprint

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 02:15:21 AM »

excellent thank you
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: