Flying Logic Forum
August 16, 2018, 12:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Flying Logic 3.0.9 has been released!
Click here to visit the Flying Logic home page.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Web Site Structure Diagrams Examples & Template  (Read 18642 times)
ARinky

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:37:42 AM »

Hello FL fans,

I'm a web designer working for clients developing new websites. Many times they come with an idea, but have no design or structure. They ask me to figure these things out. My process is typically to do web research on the idea to form a concept. Then to start mapping the concept data. I'll go back and fourth between Illustrator and a Map to develop the structure. Once I have enough structure I start to make a design.

I've been using MindMap (MM) for the structure, but decided to give FL a chance. I took the approach that websites are made from components. I used the Domain and Classes to make a Template for Web Site Structures (file attached: web_template.logic-t) with many of the typical components. You can do something like this in MM, but it's not nearly as intuitive and as a designer it looks much better in FL. That's very important when you are constantly presenting to clients. I then made a quick 'typical site' diagram and map (see the attached files: web_template_Ill.jpg and web_template.logic). Please note this is not a 'design' but a diagram of where all the components would go on the page. Next I'll use these as a basis to start designing. I've found the more I can map out the structure in the beginning the better.

I hope you find this useful. FL is my new tool of choice for site structure!

Here are some benefits:
1) I don't have to think about the layout. I can focus on the structure. Saving time & $.
2) Once I've defined the components it's easy to walk through with the client to make sure everything is correct.
3) When it's approved by the client it's easy to hand off to a programmer!
4) The export to PDF is flawless and the client LOVES the beautiful PDF of their site structure.

Thanks FL!

* web_template_Ill.jpg (53.02 KB, 800x600 - viewed 2407 times.)
* web_template.logic (103.54 KB - downloaded 495 times.)
* web_template.logic-t (14.16 KB - downloaded 415 times.)
ARinky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 07:40:02 AM »

I forgot to add the diagram:
screenshot.png

* screenshot.png (21.46 KB, 209x590 - viewed 2221 times.)
ARinky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »

Ok, and a screen shot of the diagram: sample.png

* sample.png (78.07 KB, 1089x531 - viewed 3083 times.)
Robert McNally
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 11:23:39 AM »

That's a wonderful example! Thanks for posting it!
ARinky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:22:17 AM »

Thanks Robert! Wonderful software! Smiley

Would you please tell me how I can make my Web template the default on startup?

Cheers,

arinky
Robert McNally
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »

Would you please tell me how I can make my Web template the default on startup?

Right now the best thing would be to save your document as a template (File > Save As Template...) and then just double-click the file to start Flying Logic and open the template.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: